petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat doesn't seem to be able to get comfortable. He won't

Customer Question

My cat doesn't seem to be able to get comfortable. He won't lift his hind legs up to clean himself
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Rei today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Is Rei passing urine and stool normally?

Is he still eating?

Is he an indoor only cat or is he allowed outdoors as well?

Do you know if there was a possible injury that started all of this?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't seen him in the litter box but he could have gone without my awareness. There are three other felines in the house, all indoor only. He just ate some cat treats. He jumped onto the bed from an elevated perch this am onto my husband's leg, but didn't appear to be hurt. He's periodically vocalizing in a seemingly distressed manner and wants to be close to me. No limping apparent but can't seem to get his hindquarters comfortable.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

In a young cat with the symptoms that you are describing, I am very concerned that he could possibly have a urethral obstruction. The vocalizing and the discomfort are common signs. If you have not seen him in the litterbox and are not sure if he is urinating, I would strongly urge you to have him examined today by a veterinarian even if that means using ER services. You can gently put pressure on his lower abdomen to see if you feel a big firm round mass in his belly (a distended bladder) but if you don't it doesn't rule it out. A urethral obstruction which is left untreated can make him very sick and can even become life threatening. Hopefully, it is not that, but since there is a chance it is, I would act on it today.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If he does urinate, what are some other possibilities?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

GI upset or constipation can lead to hindquarter discomfort as well, but if he is eating, that would be less likely. Any sort of soft tissue injury like a sprain or inflammed joint that could occur secondary to jumping on and off of things could also lead to discomfort and they will not always display limping, especially if the hip is involved.

If you do see him urinate, then I would try to limit his running and jumping for a few days to give his hips and hindlegs some rest. I know it is difficult to keep a young cat from doing that. I would not advise that you offer any over the counter pain meds as most are not safe for use in cats.