Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat was given a depo medrol shot ulcer. the vet also gave

Customer Question

my cat was given a depo medrol shot for rodent ulcer. the vet also gave baytril and wants me to give prednisone pills twice a day. is this not too much meds.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear your cat has a rodent ulcer. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It would help to know what the doses are; how much Depo Medrol and what strength prednisone pills.

Most rodent ulcers do resolve with steroids. Antibiotics like Baytril are not usually helpful unless the ulcer is infected. I usually give the Depo Medrol injection or prednisolone pills or liquid, not both together. Cats are not as sensitive to steroids as we humans are, and it can take high doses of steroids to resolve a rodent ulcer. Better to give a high dose in the beginning of treatment; low doses may not resolve a rodent ulcer.

Let me know if this helps and what else I can answer or help with.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question is this. He gave a depo shot then said give pred pills twice a day but to begin the pred after the 5th day that the depo was given. Ive never heard of this is it typical.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that would not be unusual to start it awhile after the Depo shot. Do you happen to know the strength of the pred pills, and how much Depo was given?

It is prednisone, or prednisolone? I ask, because some cats can't metabolize prednisone so we like to use prednisolone in cats.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else I can answer? Is this helpful?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is you cat doing; is the rodent ulcer getting better?