Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

OTHER THAN SUB Q FLUIDS 500 CC BID AD FOOD SLURRY POLYFLEX

Customer Question

OTHER THAN SUB Q FLUIDS 500 CC BID AD FOOD SLURRY POLYFLEX 1/2 CC .2 GENTAMYCIN BID WHAT ELSE DO YOU RECOMMEND FOR FELINE DISTEMPER
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear Jawless has feline distemper. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

In addition to Cerenia, and fluids and the critical care slurry, I would consider giving a transfusion of serum or plasma from a cat that is vaccinated for distemper to get some anti-distemper antibodies into him.

I would probably not give him gentamicin; it is hard on the kidneys, especially in a cat that may not be fully hydrated, and antibiotics are not effective against this virus.

If there is diarrhea, I would be giving metronidazole.

Is it proven he has feline distemper? It is not very common in cats older than kittens.

Let me know what other questions I can help with and how he is doing.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'll d/c the gent how much metronidazole for a 8.3 lb kitty I can transfuse also he is having projectile vomiting 1/2 hour after having 12ccs of slurry which is why the cerenia. the partial labs showed his wbc to be in the tank
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

A low WBC is good reason to suspect distemper.

I would give a cat this size about 80 to 100 mg metronidazole twice daily if he can keep it down.

A transfusion might really help if you can get some plasma (whole blood collected with Hetastarch or heparin and then separate the cells out) or whole blood into him.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

Sorry but I can't make phone calls for the website. I can continue with you here, or opt out and you can wait for an expert who can make calls.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

Was this helpful? Can I answer anything else here?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

How is he doing? I will be going offline for a couple of hours; let me know if I can help with anything else.

Kindly consider rating my answer. That is the only way the website knows I assisted you.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

How is he doing? Was my answer of any help?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.
Hi Annie.,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?