Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Our 8 month old kitty has vomited twice today with no

Customer Question

our 8 month old kitty has vomited twice today with no apparent reason---she has never done so before---approx a total of 8 oz of fluid & dry food was associated in 2 episodes--she is listless and has always been habitual in her manner with us & her one litter mate---she is now reclusing herself and is curled up on a chair while while the litter mate is still doing the things that they both have always been doing together
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Chamois. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Please check her gums, and tell me if they look pink or pale in color.

Are you able to take her temperature at home with a thermometer?

Does Chamois go outside at all?

Vomiting in cats can be caused by many things: eating something they should not that is causing irritation to the stomach and intestines, infection, eating something that is causing an intestinal obstruction, parasites, injury. To tell if this is serious (obstruction) or not, I would need to be able to check her gum color, take her temp, palpate her internal organs and lymph nodes. She could spend the night resting and be back to normal in the morning, or if she ate something that is causing an obstruction, she could need medical attention.

If her gums are pink not pale, that is a good sign. If her rectal temp is between 101 and 102, that is also a good sign. Just let her rest for now and if she goes a few hours without vomiting try offering some broth or water to see if she will take it.

If you are really worried, I would consider taking her to your local veterinary emergency clinic, especially if her gums seem more pale than her litter mate's.

Let me know what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

How is Chamois today? Can I help with or answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?