Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I think my cat ate some of the salt that is used to de-ice

Customer Question

I think my cat ate some of the salt that is used to de-ice sidewalks. Should I be concerned??
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he lick this?

How much do you think he had?

Was it just plain rock salt?

How is he? Any drooling, increased drinking, vomiting or appetite loss?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It only happened about 10 mins ago and probably a tiny piece or two, at most. Just plain rock salt as far as I know. He seems fine, but as I said, it did just happen.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

If it is just plain rock salt without any chemicals and he just had that small amount, then it is low risk here. We could rinse his mouth with cool water or dilute it by offering him a drink (ie water, a bit of milk, low salt chicken broth, etc) to be safe but I would expect no harm if he just had a wee bit of this. (Its the dogs and cats that eat a quite a bit that we see adverse signs).

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much! I will make sure he gets something to drink and will keep my eye on him.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

That sounds perfect. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.