Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

19 year old feline with chronic kidney failure - down to her

Customer Question

19 year old feline with chronic kidney failure - down to her last few days. Not eating for several days. Want her to be as comfortable as possible for her remaining time. Should we continue to give her IV fluids (she hates it) or not? Not sure if the short term problem is better than the longer term dehydration - and we don't want to just prolong her time (she clearly no longer has any quality of life)
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 10 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

You mention that she has no quality of life, and you talk about making her comfortable for her last few days... are you planning to let her die naturally, versus having her euthanized?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
naturally if at all possible. Given the look of her, I do not believe it will be very long.

Okay. It is hard to make these cats comfortable because it is not "pain", just an awful sick feeling. I do not typically recommend letting them pass on their own because it can take days of them just laying there, nearly catatonic. I would give the subcutaneous fluids tonight to help keep her comfortable, but if she is still with you tomorrow morning, I strongly recommend taking her to the vet to be euthanized. It's the last gift we can give our beloved pets- not making them suffer right up to the last minute. I am so sorry you are going through this with your kitty, and I wish you all the best of luck.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Ann M.