Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 16 year old cat is not eating as of today. She is very

Customer Question

My 16 year old cat is not eating as of today. She is very lethargic and trying to vomit but only vomits a white foam.
She was fine yesterday.
Not sure what to do.
She does not handle being at the vet. Afraid the visit might be too much for her at her age.
Thoughts? Thanks!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also, when she lays down, her side is twitching.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Is she drinking? Can she keep water down?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any diarrhea, weight loss, or increase in her urination?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I understand that sometimes an immediate response is not possible, however I really was looking for some guidance for what to do to get through the night. I stayed up with her all night to make sure she was doing okay.She is drinking, but seems to be trying to get something up, like a hair ball and it's not coming up. The water does come up though.We have made a vet appointment and are taking her there today.Thanks for your response!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

You are welcome,

I am glad to hear that she was ok overnight and that sounds ideal to have her seen.

Since we were unable to aid you when you posted your question, I will send your question back to customer service now.

Please take care & best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.