Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My name is ***** ***** my male neutered cat Madgi has a

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** ***** my male neutered cat Madgi has a great appetite, a big belly but I can feel and see his back bone. He was dewormed. but problem persists. can you tell me what I can do forhim?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is about 2 yrs old seems to have low energy but follows me every where and then plunks down like he is exhausted. he is a indoor cat but is a great mouser.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

Whenever I hear "big belly" I'm concerned about abdominal effusion - an accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity. This can occur secondary to right-sided heart failure, infections such as with the FIP virus or bacteria, and both hepatic and renal insufficiencies. His "low energy/seeming like he's exhausted" is worrisome for heart disease (cardiomyopathy/heart muscle disease is most common) and so his vet will want to perform a thorough phsyical exam on him paying particular attention to auscultating (listening to) his heart. If fluid is suspected in his abdomen, a small sample of it should be aspirated out of his abdomen and examined for its physical qualities and cellularity.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.