Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have a yellow tabby cat who is very afraid of the male

Customer Question

I have a yellow tabby cat who is very afraid of the male cat, Mr. Boo. He has started to mark furniture and wood cabinets. He is a sweet and loving cat. I hae to keep these 2 males in different rooms to keep the peace. He is due for his annual vet visit now.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that you're having this frustrating problem with your kitties. Urine marking is definitely not an easy issue to deal with.

Firstly, I'd want to make sure that there are no physical problems with him by having you get him to the vet for his physical and a urinalysis to check for signs of infection or cystitis.

If this pans out to be a behavioral issue (based on the results of his physical exam and diagnostics at the vet), then you certainly do have options for trying to minimize the issue. Definitely if any of the cats in the home are not neutered - having them neutered is the very first thing to do. Beyond that, there are some great herbal and pheromone products on the market to help with anxiety and marking behaviors. A prescription diet made by Hill's called c/d Multicare Urinary Stress can be of great benefit to cats who might have both cystitis and stress related marking. Even if it's only stress, the herbal calming component contained in the diet can reduce stress and inappropriate elimination behaviors. Other prodcuts like the Sentry Good Behavior collar and Feliway spray and diffusers can be helpful for urine marking and anxieties. In my office we frequently recommend a product called Composure Pro made by Vetriscience for cats with any sort of anxiety issue. If none of these are helpful, you could also discuss using an anti-anxiety medication prescribed by the vet to help ease his anxiety.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)