Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat is almost 10 years old she had become lathargic, eat

Customer Question

My cat is almost 10 years old she had become lathargic, eat very little and drinks a little bit.she had not deficated in two days. What can I do to help her and please tell me what is wrong. Iam in Brooklyn New York, we just had a blizzard of almost 30" of snow, I am hoping to get her to my vet tomorrow
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat and are snowed in. My name is ***** ***** I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If she is not eating much, she may just be empty, not constipated, but the opposite could be true; she might be constipated and that is why she is not eating. I would not be able to tell what is wrong with her without examining her: palpating her internal organs, taking her temp, listening with a stethosocope, etc. If she is eating and drinking little, she is probably dehydrated.

Getting fluids into her is the best thing you can try to do for here until you get out and can get her to your veterinarian. Try offering water, broth, watered down milk or cat food, or using a dropper or syringe to get liquids into her. Being dehydrated can cause constipation, lethargy, and depression.

Let me know what other questions I can answer and how she is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

Can I answer any more questions for you?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

How is your cat today?