Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My cat seems sensitive to pain on her right lower side - she

Customer Question

My cat seems sensitive to pain on her right lower side - she has kidney disease and is on a kidney diet and seems to be responding well. Her numbers are going down. She seems to have gained weight since she has been on the kidney diet / kibble that's what she'll eat. She drinks water often and I encourage her often. She also takes atenolol for a heart condition, oneprazole for digestion, and methimazole for hyperthyroidism. She is a rescue cat and indoors only. I should take her in for a ultrasound.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 10 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that CallieAnn has lower abdominal pain. It sounds like you are taking really good care of her. Has she had a recent urinalysis and possibly urine culture? It is very common for kitties with renal disease to have concurrent bladder infections so that is where I would look first.

The next idea of an abdominal ultrasound is a good idea as well. This will help visualize the kidneys to look for cysts or possible infections in the kidneys. It will also visualize the other organs such as the spleen, liver and intestines.

Does this help? Do you have any other questions?

Dr. Amanda

Hi Liz Whitaker,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Amanda