Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner, practitioner, Owner at Hilo Veterinary Clinic, Inc, Vetmed Hawaii
90005502

My 10 yr old cat has painful gum tongue area hurts when he

Customer Question

my 10 yr old cat has painful gum tongue area hurts when he eats. vet gave antibiotics and prednisone for inflamation. 2 months after pain again,are there any vitamins that would help gums and tongue for a cat?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 10 months ago.

Hello Andrea,

My name is***** and I will help you.

Is this an area that looks like a raised red sore along the gum line and edges or middle of the tongue?

Has Garfield had a recent FeLV+FIV test if he is outdoors? These viruses make treatment difficult.

This sounds like either an eosinophilic stomatitis or a lymphocytic plasmacytic stomatitis. These can look similar but a small biopsy can differentiate them. Both are challenging to treat.

We have tried all kinds of steroids and antibiotics. Prednisone always helps initially but we can't keep the cats on it for any long period.

We have found that use of Medicam drops for eosinophilic stomatitis can work really well in some cats allowing for complete healing. And it is available in Canada.

Apoquel, if your vet can get it, can work well for the lymphocytic plasmacytic stomamtitis.

With both treatments we use an antibiotic first for the secondary bacterial infection.

I realize that this sounds very complicated. But your vet can research this on line and he can try it.

No guarantee, but well worth the try to see a painless happy kitty again.

Unfortunately there is no magic vitamin that can prevent this.

Keep Garfield free of fleas. A flea allergy can make the mouth worse.

These cases are so challenging but once you see one clear up you just want to do cartwheels.

I hope that this can help. Don't be overwhelmed by the technical jargon.

I hope that you can find out which problem Garfield has and your vet can try the treatment.

So we begin with the prednisone and antibiotics and treat as above.

Andrea I do so hope that your vet can try this. The doses are in Plumb's Veterinary Drugs.

If you have any more questions I am happy to help - even after the rating - because I want Garfield to get better.