Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

I adopted a rescued cat 5 days ago. I think she has been

Customer Question

I adopted a rescued cat 5 days ago. I think she has been traumatized for a very long time.
She only sleeps & eats, eats as if bored. does not know how to play. waiting for her to
get used to our home is key. is there anything I can do to ease her stress?? I put a few
drops of Bach flowers rescue in her water.
thank you
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Dr. RB:) Lizzie is lucky that you adopted her! It can take time for cats to adjust to a new home environment, even without any past trauma or neglect. The Bach flower rescue is a great idea so I would continue with this. I would give her her space and allow her explore and adjust on her own. Let her know you are there and giving her attention by talking gently to her to her and she will warm up to you soon. With being 5 years old, she has grown out of her hyper, curious stage so even if she looks "bored" it may be normal for her. However, I would purchase some cat toys for her in order to stimulate her environment in a positive way. A good option would be soft toys that contain catnip as most cats LOVE catnip. If you have other cats in the house, make sure they are all adjusting to one another slowly so to cause her any undue stress. Kudos to you for taking this baby in and I'm sure she appreciates it!

I hope this advice helps you but let me know if I can explain any further:)

Hello, I am just following up to see how Lizzie is doing and if you have other questions? If you are happy with my response, please take the time to give me an positive rating for my professional time and concern for you and your pet?

Hello, I am just following up to see how Little Dan is doing and if you have other questions? If you are happy with my response, please take the time to give me an positive rating for my professional time and concern for you and your pet?