Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

Yesterday my cat Bear had 5 teeth removed on s right upper

Customer Question

Good evening. Yesterday my cat Bear had 5 teeth removed on his right upper portion and was given Gabapentin 100 mg capsules to take twice a day. I was instructed to open the capsule and add it to his food which I did. He ate all of it and about 2-3 hours after he began to act a little strangely. I gave him more food because he went back to his bowl. as he began to eat more, he laid out flat (stretched out) with his mouth in the bowl still eating. When he finished, he went over to his water and drank some and went to his carrier and slept. But when he was walking over to it he looked a little unsteady.
I called my vet to tell her and she said to not give him the 2nd dose for pain. He does not seem to be in any pain (but you don't really know w/cats). She told me to call her in the AM to let her know how he is doing. He still does not seem right to me. He is in his carrier now. I'm just very concerned that he may be overdosed. When I picked him up yesterday evening (the day of the surgery) they said he was given an antibiotic injection of Comvenia & an injection of pain medication before he left there around 6PM Friday.
Please review and please let me know if this pain med will dissipate soon. Thank you
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 10 months ago.

Hello I am Dr RB :-) Gabapentin is a strong narcotic pain medication and can have a side effect associated with varying degrees of sedation. It is commonly used for neuropathic pain such as deep pain associated with her teeth extractions. My personal feeling is that Gabapentin should be dosed at about 2-4 mg/kg 2 times daily. For a 10 lb cat, this should be about 20-25 mg every 8-12 hours. Therefore a 100 mg capsule is a bit much.

After 12 hours has passed her system should be all clear of the medication and the more hydrated is the faster it will clear. Wait until she this dose is cleared before dosing again. You should be able to assess this based on her attitude.

For or future dosing, I would open the capsule and divide it into 4 doses per capsules. Give her a dose every 8-12 hours and only as needed to keep her comfortable.. A little light sedation and sleeping is okay and to expected but what you are describing is too much sedation.. I hope this advice is helpful for you and that she feels much better soon! Let me know if you need further explanation. Also please take some time to rate my response and our conversation:)