Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My spayed cat is about 5-6 years old. She throws up maybe

Customer Question

My spayed cat is about 5-6 years old. She throws up maybe once a day. The vomit is clear and bubbly. Once in a while, not often, her vomit is pink. Should i be concerned?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? When did the vomiting start? Has she ever vomited up her food or is it always clear? Any recent change in food?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She has been vomiting once in a while at least for the past year. I've not taken it seriously but thought I'd better see if this is something painful for her. (Don't know why I waited so long.) The vomit is always bubbly and clear, though sometimes it is tinged with pink.. She still eats canned and dry food. Her appetite is good, no change. .
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She doesn't throw up much at a time, probably 1-2 teaspoons at the most.

Okay thanks for the additional information. What does she normal eat for canned and dry food? Does she eat anything with a red dye in the food? Sometimes if cats eats kibble or soft food that is red in color sometimes it can look pink if they start vomiting. Otherwise I would be worried if she is possibly having an ulcer which may be the reason for the pink in the vomit. I would recommend having her checked out to rule out anything like kidney disease or an overactive thyroid for the reasoning behind the vomiting? Otherwise some cats can develop a sensitivity to certain diets that will result in ocassional vomiting. This is confirmed by feeding them a bland prescription diet and if they stop the vomiting .