Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Our cat ran away and was outside weeks. We just got her back

Customer Question

Customer: Hi! Our cat ran away and was outside for two weeks. We just got her back and now she's very very skinny and even when giving her tiny amounts of food she throws up but will still eat whatever she can. Is this normal?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I have three cats myself, so I know how you must feel right now. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I am aware of. We gave her the same dry food she had been eating before.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Rose
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rose?
Customer: She's only about two years old, we had just adopted her from the humane society about a week and a half before she got out.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. Do you think this is urgent?
Customer: I'm not sure, she doesn't seem to be getting worse or anything, but is clearly having issues keeping food down.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If she is vomiting food even when you give tiny amounts this isn't normal. Starved cats can be more prone to vomiting if fed large amounts due to stomach shrinkage but not tiny amounts. This raises concerns of non-edible items stuck in the GI (if she ate wildlife while away or anything else because of her hunger) but also secondary infections preying upon her weakened state.

With these in mind and since starvation can cause serious harm to the body's organs, I do think a check up with your local vet would be prudent for Rose. They can ensure nothing is caught, make sure her organ function isn't compromised, and treat her with injectable anti-nausea medication.

Otherwise, I would note that you could try to reduce her nausea to see if he can keep food down by treating with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. And if she cannot keep food down after one of these, it'd be a sign again that we have something more worrisome here.

Though if one of those does settle her signs, we'd then want to think about using calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned kitten food) for Rose. Or we can even use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Catsure). As well, there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be of benefit. All of these will all get more in per bite even if we cannot get much in and help stabilize her and help her regain weight.

Overall, I am concerned about Rose. Vomiting even small amounts of food isn't normal even in the starved patient and raises worries of more serious issues afoot. Therefore we can use the above but would be best to tread with care and have her checked out at this point to ensure there is nothing else we need to tackle here to get her back on track.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)