Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My male cat is not eating or drinking.
, He is about 11

Customer Question

Customer: my male cat is not eating or drinking.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is about 11 years old, and he is not active at all.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that your kitty has been ill. I will do my best to help.

How long has he not been eating? Is he still drinking?

Anorexia (not eating) in a cat is the most vague sign that they can possibly show, meaning that it can be caused by just about any disease imaginable. It could be something simple that would pass on its own like a stomach virus or a dietary indiscretion (I ate something that didn't agree with me), however, it could also be a sign of a more serious disease like kidney failure, diabetes, a urinary obstruction, or cancer among many many other things. If anorexia is the only sign that you're seeing, unfortunately it doesn't give us much to go on when considering a diagnosis. If he's gone more than 24 hours without eating on his own and he appears to be visibly sick, then my suggestion would be to have him to the vet as soon as you're able for a full physical exam so that they can get to the bottom of what's going on for you. I wish that I could be of more help, but in this case there are just too many diseases that could be going on for me to know what's happening in this venue. Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara