Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My female cat has been going in her box and not doing

Customer Question

My female cat has been going in her box and not doing anything. She does not seem to be straining like she is constipated. She ate and drank water yesterday. Dont know the last time she urinated since I have four cats. Should I take her to a vet?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 10 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I have a question before I can help you properly, when you say she is doing nothing is she positioning like she has to urinate or defecate in the box? Or is she just going in the box and then leaving again?

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She is sitting like she has to urinate
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
do female cats get blockages like males?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the information,

Typically the cause of sudden change in the method of using a litter box is a urinary tract infection. Cats who have been using a box properly that now squat to urinate with minimal or no urine production, often has discomfort in their bladder. The sudden stinging sensation that comes along with bladder infection or disease causes a sudden need to urinate right away and will give the sensation of urine that needs to be passed but no urine comes out which is why it appears she is doing "nothing." A quick urine test by the vet can determine if it's sterile inflammation, an infection or urinary crystals causing the problem and then prescribe the proper treatment. Once the discomfort goes away 95% of affected cats start using the litter box properly again right away. Fortunately females very rarely get blockages so likely this is just stinging sensation that is causing her posturing. She does need to see the vet, but this is not likely an emergency

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.

Dr. Dan