Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

A recently adopted 14 month old kitten with an eye infection

Customer Question

A recently adopted 14 month old kitten with an eye infection (considered herpes) is being treated with an antibacterial eye ointment and recently finished a course of an antiviral oral medication. The eye is very slowly improving but cidofovir eye drops are now considered due to the slowness of improvement. My husband is immune compromised due to cancer/cancer treatment and is scheduled for an urostomy in about a month. He has been helping with the antibacterial eye drops. Is there a danger to him to help with the antiviral eye drops (e.g., exposure to the drug from possible topical contact during the administration process)?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry that Kitka is having these issues although, unfortunately, they're fairly common ones. I've had some success with oral anti-viral drugs although not all patients respond as well to them as we'd like. The fact that her eye appears to be improving is obviously a good sign.I've also use Idoxuridine in these patients although I do understand that every vet may have their preference. In addition to the l-lysine that she's taking, I'd also encourage a feline probiotic such as Forti Flora, if she's not already taking one. Studies have shown that these supplements may help in strengthening the immune system for some patients; I always recommend for cats who have herpes infections. Probiotics are often available at many pet or grain stores or they can be purchased online as well. As to your specific question about any risk to your husband coming in contact with any anti-viral eye medication, this may be a question best asked of his physician. However, I usually suggest that owners wear latex or non-latex (if allergic) gloves when applying or administering any medication to their pets if they have health issues themselves. Even if hands are washed immediately after use of these products, it's possible that small amounts might be absorbed. It's just much better to be safe than sorry. I hope this helps and that Kitka's eye problems will improve soon. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello again.I'm just following up on Kitka. How are things going with her? Deb