Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My 16 yr old female cat has lost a considerable amount of

Customer Question

Customer: my 16 yr old female cat has lost a considerable amount of weight and has,for 2 days quit eating. she seems to be preparing herself for death. she doesn't appear to be in any pain. should i take her to a vet or let her go in peace?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she has always enjoyed good health, until recently. if it is diabetes or hyperthyroidism, should I seek help. 16 is pretty old for a cat and I don't want to subject her to any trauma, if unnecessary.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your 16 year old. It's reasonable to assume that her profound weight loss and now complete anorexia indicate life-threatening disease; however, making the decision whether to have her attended to by her vet or allowing her to die unaided would be placing the cart before the horse. Unless she is examined, we can't know whether or not she can be helped. In general, I'm uncomfortable not knowing if I could have helped such a patient but didn't. Too many disorders result in very unpleasant symptoms (shock, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, convulsions) as these disorders approach end-stage (near death). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.