Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat has been licking and scratching so that she is

Customer Question

My cat has been licking and scratching so that she is bleeding and losing her fur. The vet gave her a steroid shot back on Dec 17. No results and she lost more fur and scratches until she bleeds. Today, we gave the cat convenia antibiotic injection .67 and depo medrol 20 mg/ml .55. Diagnosis is Dermatitis Pruritic. Bandit seems ok, but she is sleeping off and on and tonight, she tries to meow, but just opens her mouth and nothing comes out. I know it is hard to pin point something, when you can't see it. But, I was wondering if the only thing that she has been eating, that she never did before, is some almond milk (20-30 licks) from the bottom of a glass, usually at night. NOTHING is new in the house and she never goes outside.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Barbara, and I'll be happy to help you and Bandit today.

I'm sorry to hear that she is having this severe itching (pruritis). The diagnosis you have received basically just describes what is going on (itchy skin) but doesn't tell us why.

Itchy skin can of course be due to allergies to food or inhaled allergens, but it can also be due to a very occasional flea, and can be also due to hormonal imbalance.

The fact that she didn't respond to the steroid injection in December makes me think that her problem is a hormonal imbalance, like Cushing's Disease. Allergies would have responded. Did you vet run a blood profile on her along with a urinalysis. These would be the basic tests to begin to search for a cause of her condition.

Steroid injections can decrease a cat's immune system making her more prone to secondary infections. In Bandit's case her laryngitis may be a symptom of an upper respiratory infection. Or perhaps she has meowed excessively today. . .staying at the veterinary clinic? Or going to and from the clinic?

Depomedrol injections can cause diabetes in a cat, so you should be aware of that. Not all cats will be affected that way, but a good number will.