petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My female 9 yr. old cat does not want to be picked up. She

Customer Question

My female 9 yr. old cat does not want to be picked up. She is very affectionate but since we got her 3 yrs. ago, she will not let us pick her up. She loves being petted and brushed. It's almost impossible to get her in the carrier to go to the vet. I had to cancel an appointment today. She will not eat the calming treats. Any suggestions?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Gracie today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

I would recommend that you ask your vet to prescribe the medication called gabapentin to be used prior to her visit to the vet. This medication can reduce the stress of catching her and traveling to the vet. The effect is to make her slow and relaxed, but not overly sedate. It is best when it is given 2-3 hours before her appointment. The usual dose is a 100 mg capsule sprinkled on a wet food with a flavor enhancer (like fortiflora by purina). The effect can linger for hours so should last long enough for her pre travel, appointment and trip home. This has been one of the most effective handling and travel medications that has been used in years and I have not seen any over the counter or even other prescription medications that has worked as well.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z