Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My cat has had 2 round patches on the trunk of her body that

Customer Question

My cat has had 2 round patches on the trunk of her body that is not responding to anti fungal meds. It is scaly and I'd like an opinion of what it could be.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

Can you upload a photo(s) of these patches to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Is Gracie allowed outside? Has a cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of the affected skin surface for abnormal numbers of bacteria or yeast) been performed? Has a fungal culture confirmed fungal infection?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Call me
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do not see the paper clip icon
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What are other possibly conditions. His has been going on for 2 months.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue. I'll opt out which will allow other vets to enter our conversation.

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that your kitty has some odd skin lesions that aren't responding to treatment.

There are a variety of potential culprits for skin conditions in cats. Allergies can cause hair loss and scaling, as can bacterial infections, fungal infections, or other less common "atypical" infections. Many skin lesions are responsive to either antibiotics or steroids, or a combination of both. This would be considered a very broad spectrum approach to treatment of skin lesions in cats. Truly, to know what they are, your vet would need to both biopsy and culture the affected tissue. Depending on the severity of the lesion, this might be worthwhile. Another potential cause for "mystery" skin lesions would be cancer like epitheliotropic lymphoma. My experience with skin lymphoma in kitties is that they are often lesions that looked bacterial or fungal initially but didn't respond to treatment for these things.

I hope that this is helpful - please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)