Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My 14 lb cat, almost 2 years old, 15 minutes ago ingested

Customer Question

Customer: my 14 lb cat, almost 2 years old, 15 minutes ago ingested 600 mg gabapentin, which I understand is 6 times his weight. what will the vet do? is he at risk for kidney failure, etc?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: just that thank you
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: not yet
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I might dose a 14 lb cat with 150 mg of gabapentin. 600 mg would represent a 4X overdose. Sedation and ataxia ("drunken sailor") are the most likely adverse effects to arise. In the ASPCA Poison Control Center database of 103 exposed cats, 47 became symptomatic. The most common signs were lethargy/sedation and ataxia. Treatment is basically supportive with general decontamination procedures including emesis, activated charcoal, and cathartics. To answer you directly, the vet would induce emesis by injecting your cat with an emetic drug and then dosing orally with activated charcoal. This would be prudent to have done although I don't expect your cat to be at serious risk.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.