Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

My 8 month old indoor kitten appears to be in pain. She

Customer Question

My 8 month old indoor kitten appears to be in pain. She walks very slowly and gingerly with her head down when she's even walking. She's been laying under the bed since Friday. She meows when you try to pick her up or tough her underside. She hasn't eaten but a few bites since Friday. I did see her try to roll onto her side and me owed and came back to the laying position where she's on her gut with either both or her left paw tucked underneath. Her back legs are not underneath though. They are more or less "chicken-winged". They are close to her body but not under. What could cause this sudden onset?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am so sorry that Lealie is not feeling well. I would suspect that she has developed a fever from some type of bacterial infection. This is quite common in young cats, even indoor ones. Their immune systems are not quite mature, so they can pick things up pretty readily, even something you may have inadvertently brought home on your clothes or shoes.

It is important that you do not try to medicate her at home. Many common medications can be deadly to cats & it is difficult to get a dose small enough into Lealie that will not harm her.

If you have access to a veterinarian with emergency hours, then I would consider taking her in today. If not, please consider having her seen tomorrow. These infections can come on quite literally overnight. A couple of days on antibiotics should get her back to eating & feeling normal.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you & I hope Lealie is feeling better very soon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just so I am clear, you are saying that a possible fever due to a bacterial infection could cause her to appear to have belly pain? She doesn't want to be picked and meows and seems as if it is painful to switch laying positions. Would her ears be cool with a fever?
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.

Of course, without a hands on exam, I am just giving you my professional opinion on what might be going on. It is very unreliable to check for fever by just feeling the ears. The only sure way is to take her temperature rectally.

A cat with a fever is a miserable creature. They do not want to be touched or held, & they definitely can be quite uncomfortable. Similar to how we might feel with the flu. Could all her pain come from her belly? Possibly, but I would expect vomiting &/diarrhea. Lealie presents as a typical feverish cat. I just had one in the office on Thursday, about the same age, 1 set of vaccinations just 10 days earlier, with 105.9F. Antibiotics were started, & 24 hours later, she was down to 103.1F & eating. The only way to know for sure is to have Lealie examined.

I hope this clarifies things for you. Please continue if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time. I will schedule an appt with her regular vet.
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. If you can, could you please give me an update in the next day or so to see how Lealie is doing.

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took her to the vet yesterday and they kept her for testing. They called for me to come over this morning. Her temp was 102 and her white cell count was 3,000. She tested highly positive for feline leukemia and has a large mass in her chest. She was only breathing at 20% capacity because of the mass. They said with these issues and her not eating or drinking, she would most likely be gone within days if I took her home. I left her with them. I was also advised to bring my other two indoor cats over in the next 2-3 weeks to be tested since they all lived together. Thank you for your follow-up and concern.
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry for such a sad outcome. This is a pretty unusual outcome for such a young cat to develop a solid tumor so quickly. You are doing the most kind & humane thing for her. Please accept my condolences on your loss of Lealie.

Take care.

Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Linda