Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has a viral infection that flares up several times a

Customer Question

My cat has a viral infection that flares up several times a year. The vet usually gives him Clavamox or liquid Zithromiacin (sp?) today my cat was acting like he had another spell starting up and since it's the weekend I just broke off a small piece of my own Amox/Clavamox pill from my own ear infection recently. I assumed if it was a small piece and it was similar to the Clavamox he gets that it would be okay. But he has since thrown up and is drooling at the mouth. Do I need To go to the all night emergency vet or let it pass through his system and never ever do that again?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

The medication is similar but we tend to take a much higher dose then cats do. So, its not a poisoning but it is not surprising that he had these signs of GI upset. Therefore, we'd want to rest his stomach (withhold food jut leave water down) and not give this again. Once he is more settled you can offer a small meal light diet (boiled chicken, white fish, meat baby food -as long a there is no garlic/onion). Cats usually will settle within 24 hours, but if he keeps vomiting then we'd want his vet to treat with an injectable anti-nausea medication to help halt this nausea for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )