Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Two weeks ago my cat unexpectantly became paralyzed in s ps

Customer Question

Two weeks ago my cat unexpectantly became paralyzed in his hips and both back leg with loss of bladder control. The next day, he regained the use of one leg and by the third day, he had regained use of both of his legs and was completely back to normal.
This morning, he was fine, but now he is completely paralyzed again. What could it be?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

That's a very unusual history for a myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) but most consistent with spondylolisthesis - an instability of adjoining vertebrae - in which compression of the spinal cord occurs episodically when a vertebra subluxates (slightly dislocates) and exerts pressure on the spinal cord. This is usually seen following a fracture involving the spinal column, however, which doesn't sound likely in a 15 year old. At Phoenix's advance age, a tumor around the spinal cord might cause episodic compression but would be expected to cause progressive and lasting compression as it continued to enlarge.

X-rays might identify the spinal cord lesion but in some cases MRI will be necessary. These imaging modalities are likely to be of academic interest only, however, as I can't see performing spinal surgery on Phoenix. Conservative therapy in the form of an antiinflammatory glucocorticoid such as prednisolone can be considered, however. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another Vet, Dr. Deb responded as well. She thought it was most likely a heart condition hypertrophic cardiomyology and that he was throwing blood clots. She was right. He was diagnosed with that condition this past summer and he was passing bloody clots. He died early Monday morning. Thank you.

Thank you for letting me know. My condolences for your loss of Phoenix.

You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.