Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My name is ***** ***** and my cat seems to be nauseous

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** ***** and my cat seems to be nauseous and/or in discomfort. I took her to the vet two days ago for vomiting and diarrhea. they gave her a shot for the nausea and did blood tests. Also gave her prescription gastro food. She did great the first day eating the food with gusto, yesterday also. But today stopped eating the food as if she just didn't prefer it but was hungry. now she is crying and swallowing alot the blood tests came back good. Doc thought possibly allegic to old food or pancreas problem or intestine problem is there anything I can give for nausea
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: doc wanted me to continue prescription food for two weeks and then slowly change over to old food to see if she can tolerate it. She had loose stool today as there is poop on her butt that we need to clean off.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Cat Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that your cat is experiencing these gastrointestinal issues. I tend to agree with your vet about the possible causes for her issues although it's often difficult to specifically pinpoint these conditions without further testing.

Some patients can develop esophagitis which may be why she's swallowing and not eating or she may still be nauseous even if she's not actively vomiting now.

You can give her over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) which may help if this is the case. The dose would be 1/4th of a 10 mg tablet twice a day.

Since cats are very sensitive to many over the counter products which can be used for diarrhea in dogs (or humans for that matter), I wouldn't suggest any medications such as Pepto Bismol. However, probiotics may help with her looser stool issues. Forti Flora is a good product which may be available at local pet or grain stores.

I hope this helps and that you see improvement soon. Deb.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on your cat. How is she doing? Deb