petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I came home last night and found one of my cats was sick. He

Customer Question

Hi. I came home last night and found one of my cats was sick. He was on the bed and had pooped (runny) on the bed as well as vomited several places and was very lethargic. He was in normal health in the morning when I left. He did not get off the bed during the night and when I brought him some water he wasn't interested. During the night he did change positions. This morning I carried him to the kitchen to be close to the food, water and litter boxes. He got up off the towel I placed him on and went to the water bowl. Is back laying down, but seems a bit better than last night, although still not purring when I pet him which is unusual for him. I thinking/hoping maybe some old moist cat food that went bad was still in the dry food and made him sick? My other cat is fine, no health issues. Any thoughts
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

It is possible that it was from something he ate, but the food would have to be spoiled to cause that type of reaction. It is not uncommon for a cat to develop a acute gastroenteritis that presents with those types of signs and for us to never identify the cause. That is alright as long as it resolves or doesn't become a recurrent issue. When it does, we are often dealing with things like inflammatory bowel disease and there can be various reasons for that to occur and it needs to be worked up with more testing including bloodwork and some sort of imaging such as xray or ultrasound.

In Obi Wan's case, often the self imposed fast goes a long way to helping the gut get back to normal. Since he is an adult cat, a 12-24 hr fast will not hurt him and will let his gut calm down. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. When you do begin feeding him again, you will want to offer frequent, small meals of something very digestible for him. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK. If the stools improve, I would continue that for a few days and then slowly wean him back onto his normal food and feeding schedule. If you can't entice him to eat or if the vomiting and/or diarrhea continue, he really needs to be evaluated by a veterinarian.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z