petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I have a nearly 19 year old cat. When she sits or walks, her

Customer Question

Customer: I have a nearly 19 year old cat. When she sits or walks, her right hip juts out at a weird angleand she has a weakness on that side which is apparent when she walks. The back right leg 'slips out' as she walks if that makes sense. She also takes forever to sit down....like she's being careful not to hurt herself. When sitting that back right hip sticks out as well. In general, she seems uncomfortable.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My name is ***** ***** my cat's name is Madison. She has a history of arthritis but these are new symptoms she hasn't had before. She is on 5 mg prednisilone and also Adequan....but they no longer seem to be helping.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes, I can wait.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

How long has she been on the Prednisolone? Did it seem to help at first?

Are you giving Adequan injections?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have been giving prednisilone for two years. She has been on Adequan sub q injections since August. These medications initially helped with the arthritis, but they are no longer adequate. I'm wondering what else is available to make my cat more comfortable. I do not want her to suffer or prolong her suffering at this age. Other symptoms/issues:Lays in litter box
Struggles to get in box
Hips, especially right hip, just out when she sits or walks
Sitting in strange positions....looks like she is very uncomfortable and in pain
- Can no longer meow in her normal way....barely audiible
- Have to bathe her regularly due to her sitting in her box
- Still eating and drinking, but I can tell she's lost weight over the last two months
Expert:  petdrz replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the reply.

While prednisolone may have helped her to feel better, it is not always the best choice for treating arthritis. It does have anti-inflammatory properties, but is not a true pain reliever and can have deleterious effects on other parts of the body, including the degenerative joints themselves. There are other drugs that may help to better cover her for pain in her joints. and the concept of multi modal therapy (combining drugs) is very effective. By adding other drugs to the regime or replacing the prednisolone with other drugs it may be beneficial. This not only incorporates attacking the pain by a different mechanism of action, but the sometimes synergistic effect of the two drugs together allows you the keep the doses of both down, avoiding potential side effects. Two of the oral drugs I keep in mind to add for pain are Tramadol or buprenorphine and Gabapentin. Your vet will know if either is an appropriate choice for her if you need to provide extra pain relief now.

On top of pain management with drugs, other beneficial options include nutricueticals (supplements). There is not a lot of science based research studies on these, but there is no doubt they help some pets. The top things to consider are:

Fish oil/omega-3's— The active ingredient of fish oil for humans and for pets is EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) and DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid). The dose recommendations are 180mg EPA and 120 mg DHA per 10 lbs body weight daily.

There is a large range of safety and it doesn't have to be that amount exactly but this gives you some guidelines. You just want to make sure you are seeing those on the label as an ingredient and not just the words "fish oil" as these are the important part of the fish oil and not all fish oil capsules have them in it, especially the cheaper ones.

Chondroprotective agents: Adequan is in this category, but there are oral forms of these supplements as well and many pain specialists feel that there is benefit to using both. Dasuquin made by Nutramax is one of the one's that shows promise to be a step above due to a unique combination of glucosamine and chondroitin as well as other components. These products work to protect the joint by "lubricating the joint" and "cushioning" it in simple terms.

Dasuquin for cats

Duralactin® is a patented dried milk protein from the milk of hyperimmunized cows. It’s action is to reduce inflammation of osteoarthritis and tissue damage that results because of it. It is available as an oral supplement. Here is a link with more information.

Duralactin

There are also some newer veterinary diets (Hills j/d) that work very well to provide similar components and increased antioxidants mixed right in with their food. I have had pretty good results with these.

j/d for cats

One final option that we have employed with good results is acupuncture.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 10 months ago.

It looks like the hyperlinks did not post. Here they are.

j/d for cats

duralactin

dasuquin for cats