Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat keeps scratching herself around the neck. It is so

Customer Question

My cat keeps scratching herself around the neck. It is so bad she has scratched down to the bone in three spots. Can any one tell me what it is and what we can do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your cat. If she has excoriated herself to such an extent, she needs the attention of her vet at your earliest convenience. The etiologies of such severe pruritis (itchiness) include the sarcoptic mange mite (feline scabies) and the Demodex mange mite, an allergic dermatitis called miliary dermatitis which can arise from a flea saliva allergy, atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.), as well as food intolerance. Bacterial and fungal skin infections are less likely to cause such severe pruritis. The treatment for these disorders varies and her vet will need to clarify which disorder is present before prescribing a treatment.

Treatments may include parasiticides to address a mange or flea infestation, a glucocorticoid such as prednisolone to address an allergic dermatitis, or a hypoallergenic food trial if food intolerance is suspected. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.