Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has had 2 generalized seizures over the past 2

Customer Question

My cat has had 2 generalized seizures over the past 2 months. Should she be on medication?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I am glad to hear that Milan's vet has checked bloods for her. While I appreciate its frustrating that they didn't find a definitive cause with this, its actually still useful to us. This is because those results allows us to rule out liver based causes for seizures, hopefully ruled out thyroid disease and also appreciate the state of her kidneys (since late state kidney disease could cause seizures, but sound less likely with those results). With those all aside, your vet would need to consider brain based issues for her seizures. This can include infections (bacterial, viral, protozoal), space occupying lesions, (growths, cysts, soft tissue inflammation or bleeds in the brain), and epilepsy (a bit less likely at her age).

With those in mind, if she is having seizures monthly (or more then one every 6 months), then treatment would be indicated. That said, since she has started with this as an older cat (where again this makes epilepsy is less likely), we do need to tread with care. It would be ideal to have an MRI and spinal tape to help further pinpoint the cause of her signs. If that is not possible, then you will want to speak to her vet about a trial on anti-inflammatory medication (to reduce any of those space occupying lesions pressing on the brain) and potentially anti-seizure drugs. As well, we would want them to dispense rectal Diazepam for you to have on hand. That way if she has another seizure, you can treat her immediately to stop it for her. Though as we treat, we'd hope to see less seizures for you to have to treat with that.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks. This was very helpful. I had 2 cats die very painful deaths several years ago that I still have nightmares about. I just don't want her to suffer. She is the sweetest cat ever! Never hisses, growls or scratches me! Very loving. My main concern is to prevent any kind if suffering.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

She sounds and looks to be a lovely wee lass. I am glad that I could help shed some light here and hopefully we can manage this for her and prevent any discomfort or suffering.

Best wishes to you both,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.