Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My name is dora.. my cat was straining to pee so i took m

Customer Question

Customer: hi my name is ***** ***** cat was straining to pee so i took him into emergency and they check him up.. the results were that his vitals were normal and his bladder was quite large but they were able to express it manually. they examined a urine sample and saw a few small crystals which may be normal or may indicate forming stones. they think my cat most likely has an inflammatory condition of his urinary bladder called sterile cystitis and say that they treat it daily with pain relief and antispasmodic medication.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: so they have given me parson 1mg half every morning and night and also buprenophine every eight hours but now monitoring him has still hasn't gone to to toilet and I'm not sure if i should be worried
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok ill wit wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
just to confirm i was given Prazosin 1mg tablets half in the morning and half at night, also given Buprenorphine HCI 0.3mg/1mL syringes, to be given every eight hours. Since bringing the cat home i have not noticed him to try and go to the toilet so i haven't witnessed him straining. and i also haven't seen him pee. i am concerned because i don't know if it has been too long since he has peed or it just needs time. how long should i wait? is the medication good for what he was diagnosed with? this has never happened to him before but i think it may be from the dry food i have been feeding him. i have decided to change his diet to all wet food and make his own food also adding water to it. could you let me know if he is going to be ok? should he be peeing? should i see results in a week or so? will he be ok? thank you so much :)
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 10 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your kitty is having bladder problems. It sounds like you were sent home with the best medications for him. It also sounds like you are on the right track nutritionally as canned food with added water is the best thing for him.

As for how he is doing right now, I would not wait more than 12 hours from the time they expressed his bladder to when I would expect to see him urinate again. If he hasn't peed in 12 hours then I would have his bladder rechecked. It is common for male kitties in this situation to become blocked and be unable to urinate. This, of course, is life threatening.

In the long term, he will do very well. Bladder problems are very nutritionally related and can be managed well with diet and sometimes additional medications.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

How is your kitty this evening? Is he urinating normally now? Did you end up taking him back to your vet? Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. A

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Amanda