Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Debb, i woke up to my cat breathing heavily and there is

Customer Question

Customer: hey dr debb, i woke up to my cat breathing heavily and there is drool dripping down from her mouth.. i gave her, her bowl of water but she just walked away and went down stairs to breath heavily.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i don't have much else... this just started happening
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr.Jess. I am sorry to hear about your kitty. I would recommend getting her to a vet ASAP for an exam. Trouble breathing is an emergency situation. We can see it in cats with asthma, heart problems, bronchitis, pneumonia, etc. Excessive drooling can the the result of nausea, ingesting an irritating substance, ingesting certain plants or toxins.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She won't lt any one near her...
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

You mean you can't catch her to bring her to the vet?

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Hello? Are you still there?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

It appears your first expert has left the conversation. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How is she doing now? Dr. Jess is correct, heavy breathing is a medical emergency in a cat. She needs medical attention.