Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My granddaughters cat is about 5 and has feline V and has a

Customer Question

My granddaughters cat is about 5 and has feline HIV and has a broken canine tooth which is scheduled to be fixed 1/29. She came home from school yesterday and said the cat was laying on her bed and was drooling and his breath smelled horrible, like he had thrown up. He is drinking water but doesn't appear to be eating. She looked up on the internet and thinks he has Feline stomatitis. The vet doesn't have any openings before the 29th. What do you think we should do in the meantime? Thank you, Bonnie
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that your granddaughter's cat has been ill. I'll do my best to help.

It's definitely reasonable to consider stomatitis, especially in a cat who has FIV. Cats with FIV are much more likely to have issues with stomatitis. We run into a terrible conundrum with these cats - because the treatment for stomatitis usually involves immunosuppressive doses of steroids, but the cat already has a suppressed immune system from the FIV so the combination of the two can make them even more susceptible to secondary infections.

Stomatitis is a very painful condition - but the good news is that it can usually be managed (at least initially) with steroids, antibiotics, and pain medications. Many cats also get significant relief from having the teeth behind their canines extracted - this is because the inflammation is usually caused by the cat's immune system's overreaction to the biofilm (bacteria, plaque) on the teeth. Once the teeth are gone, the inflammation usually (but not always) subsides. So even though they can't get him in sooner to be anesthetized for dental work, he can still be seen and receive medical treatment to calm to stomatitis until his dental work can be done. If they can't even examine him until the 29th, I'd start calling around to have him seen sooner - if he's so painful that he's not able to eat, he really needs to be seen before that.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara