Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Is irritable bowel syndrome in cats contagious to other cats

Customer Question

Is irritable bowel syndrome in cats contagious to other cats or people?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, irritable bowel syndrome is not contagious between any individuals. It is essentially an inflammatory condition of the intestines as opposed to an infection. Therefore, if more then one cat has GI signs or the people at home do as well, this supports a potentially zoonotic infection that could be spread among the species (ie Salmonella, Campylobacter) or a shared exposure (if you have all eaten uncooked meat or something else that could irritate the gut). But again IBS cannot be spread and is not contagious.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )