Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

I have a cat. Her eye is kind of bulging and she can't close

Customer Question

I have a cat. Her eye is kind of bulging and she can't close it all the way.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your kitty. Is there any way to take a photo of your kitty's eye to post here? How long has this been going on for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe a couple day
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Is she rubbing the eye? Any discharge or tears? Is she eating and drinking? How old is she and is she an outdoor cat???

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No she's not rubbing it. She's eating and drinking. She's an inside cat. No discharge. But she's sneezing, I wouldn't say a lot. But I wouldn't say a little either
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, I do not think this is a problem you are going to be able to manage at home. There are several different things that can cause a kitty's eye to bulge in this manner. These include glaucoma, trauma to the eye, a retrobulbar abscess (this is an abscess or pocket of infection behind the eye), and a tumor behind the eye. The medication you have will not treat any of these conditions, it is really primarily used to treat bacterial conjunctivitis,

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Conjunctivitis can cause green/yellow discharge and swelling of the eyelid and the conjunctiva (the shiny pink area inside the lid and around the eye),but in these cases any swelling is of the lid, and may cause the lid to swell shut, but not for the eye to bulge. She needs to have the pressure in her eye tested and have the inside of her eye examined with an ophthalmoscope.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Also, the sooner you get her into the vet, the better, as the longer her eye is bulging in this way, the more likely damage is occurring in the retina or optic nerve.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions for me. If you do not, please take a moment to RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck with your kitty!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello? Are you still there? Just wanted to be sure you didn't have any other questions before I leave my computer!!!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello? Just checking to see if you got my response? If you had any questions? Please take a moment to RATE our conversation or reply that you got the information in your message so that we can know if you were satisfied. The only way in which I receive compensation for helping answer your question is if you acknowledge in some way you received the information and found it helpful. Thank you.