petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Cat is constantly licking its behind and spending much more

Customer Question

Cat is constantly licking its behind and spending much more time around the litter box. Looked at behind....small amount of bleeding.. ????
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Abby today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Do you know if she is passing urine? Passing stool?

Does the area she is licking look irritated?

How long has this been going on?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not sure sure on the urine. We believe she is pooping. The butt looks a little irritated and as I siad a little blood in that area. A couple of days we noticed.
Expert:  petdrz replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the reply.

One of a couple of things could be happening. She could be constipated, but if you think she is passing stool, then that is less likely. On the other hand, some cats will develop colitis or soft stools and will sometimes pass mucous and blood through the rectum as well. If that were the case, it is probable that you would be seeing evidence of that in the litterbox as well.

It is probably more likely that the blood and the abnormal behavior is evidence of a urinary problem. Being a female, she is not likely to develop a urethral obstruction like a male cat can, but all cats can be affected by a condition called Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD) which is the name given to a set of symptoms from various causes that can affect a cat's urinary system. The causes are varied and the age of the cat partly influences the likelihood of the cause. (ie older cats are more prone to bacterial infections than younger cats). Other common causes include bladder stones, crystals, tumors, and sometimes just inflammation from an unknown cause (more common in younger cats). Unfortunately, the all can show the same symptoms, no matter the cause and all are treated a little differently.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you have at home that will help. If it is a bacterial infection, she needs antibiotics. If it is a stone, it needs to be removed. It is possible (and likely) that there are no bacteria at all and it is a problem called idiopathic cystitis. This is an inflammation without bacteria and for unknown reason. The good news is that many of these cats will improve on their own regardless of what treatment we provide. Usually we try to give them something for their discomfort until it resolves. It is not uncommon for their symptoms to return again later and can come and go periodically throughout their life. Here is a great article about it and some of the ways we manage it: FIC

Your best course of action is to have Abby examined by your vet and have a urinalysis performed. In the meantime, try to encourage increased water intake by offering free access to fresh water and try adding warm water, broth or tuna juice to her food. This will help to flush out the bladder until you find out what the problem is and see if any other medications are needed.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z