Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

I found a circular scab on the side of my 5yr old Indoor

Customer Question

I found a circular scab on the side of my 5yr old Indoor cats neck, about the size of an eraser. took him to vet, he tested Neg for ringworm. They also did bloodwork and said his liver count was high. I am a little concerned about the high liver enzyme vet ripped the scab off, told me it was just a wound and sent me on my way w ointment and antibiotics. hes been on antibiotics and the ointment now for 6 days. today I found another sore
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr RB:) Typically, the only "in hospital" testing that veterinarians can do for ringworm is known as a Wood's Lamp test. However, this test can be falsely negative.. the only definitive way to diagnose or rule out ringworm is a DTM test or dermatophyte test media test, in which a small hair sample is taken and placed on a culture gel in the dark for 1-3 weeks to test for fungal growth. I am assuming that your veterinarian performed the wood's lamp test..

Honestly, I would give the antibiotics another week to have a full effect. Even in the event of ringworm, secondary bacterial infection is commonly present concurrently so it will not hurt the situation.

Do you remember which liver enzyme was high? Has Nemo had any blood work completely previously to compare the most recent value to? Is Nemo on any consistent medications. In the absence of other clinical signs such as gastrointestinal signs, lethargy, neurological signs, this increase in liver enzyme may be incidental or due to lab error. However, if very elevated, I would recommend getting another value within the next month to determine if a pattern of increase is seen. You will probably need a follow up appointment concerning Nemo's skin in 1-2 weeks time (or you should) and you can address repeating the blood chemistry to check liver enzymes at that time.. I hope this advice was of great help to you:)

Hello again! I hope I helped with my answer to your question about Nemo's skin? Any other questions or clarification I can provide? If you have other questions, feel free to ask.. If you are happy with my response, please take the time to rate our conversation so I may be paid for my professional time? Thanks so much..

Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 10 months ago.

Just checking to see if you have additional questions? If not, please rate our conversation when you have a free moment..

Hi Gloria,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Ola Barrett