Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has just returned home after a cat fight. She

Customer Question

My cat has just returned home after a cat fight. She walked/jumped okay upon return and ate well.
I have just noticed that she has withdrawn into a corner for the past 2 hours , and is not letting me touch her. She seems to be limping slightly. She may have been bitten ? Should I wait for a day until tomorrow to observe symptoms, or is this a rush to vet immediately situation ?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

As long as she is breathing comfortably, this isn't an emergency situation if your vet isn't open just now. That said, based on her signs, Hafshu is telling us that she is sore from the fight and certainly could have been bitten. Now the ideal approach here isn't to just monitor her if we have a suspect wound. Especially because cat fight wounds often get infected. Therefore, it would be ideal to have her seen as a non-emergency so that her vet can assess any wounds and start her on antibiotics to prevent infection and cat safe pain relief (ie Metacam) to ease her discomfort. Typically, we will treat with these for 5-7 days, keeping the cat inside +/- cleaning the wound with a cat safe antiseptic (ie salt water, dilute chlorohexidine, etc). And starting this care now is always advisable since that way we can nip this in the bud for her and ensure she heals (and avoids infection) as quickly as possible.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the prompt reply. She is breathing okay, but has a patch of fur missing from the right side of her stomach closer to the hind leg - no bleeding. I will take her to the vet this evening.Thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome,

That sounds like a fine plan of action.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )