Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Why does my cats poop smell so strong? her diet consists of

Customer Question

why does my cats poop smell so strong? her diet consists of wellness canned food twice a day along with dry food
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long has she had increased fecal odor?

How long has she been on this diet?

Are her stools normal or loose at all?

Does Jade have any known health issues?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She's only 5 months old ...we've had her since December 14th and the food is what she was being fed by the rescue center her stools are norma no health issues
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate each individual (us included) digests different foods to a different extent. So, we can see a variation in fecal odor associated with diet, with the individual gut bacteria of the cat, and even with the individual cat themselves. With this in mind, we have a few options with Jade. First, you can trial her on another diet to see if she digests that better and thus has less fecal odor. You can try what you successfully fed your other kitty before or choose to use a stomach sensitive food. (Of course, do wean her slowly onto any new diet you use to avoid gut upset).

Otherwise, if she is a new addition and we may have some stress causing gut microflora imbalance, you can try adding an OTC feline probiotic (ie Fortiflora) to her food. This can aid digestion and help reduce odor if it is due to a good gut bacteria disruption.

Finally, in regards ***** ***** odor generally, I would note that you can add a small dose of activated charcoal to her food. This is OTC at most pet stores (ie BCK granules) and the charcoal can just bind odor to address this for her.

Overall, this isn't often a sign of anything wrong but can be related to how a cat processes the food they are fed. Therefore, the above can help reduce that odor from arising and/or block it for you.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.