Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is drooling and sneezing. He has been sneezing and

Customer Question

My cat is drooling and sneezing. He has been sneezing and laying down all day. The drooling just started. He has been laying down and hiding all day and that is not like him At all. All the vets are closed and I am wondering if this is something I should be extremely worried about
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has also had his mouth open all day which is not normal at all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) and calicivirus are the two main differential diagnoses for Tucker's drooling and sneezing. Please check his oral cavity for tiny pinpoint red ulcers which would indicate calicivirus. There's no specific therapy for these viruses and so treatment is supportive - supplemental fluids by needle and soft foods that can be syringed into Tucker if necessary. As long as he continues to eat and drink, "watchful waiting" is appropriate. Most cats will remiss unaided within 2-3 weeks.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow my speaking to customers by phone in this venue. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.