Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Cat ingested some of a temazepam he chewed on- maybe up to

Customer Question

Cat ingested some of a temazepam he chewed on- maybe up to 10 mg? Help!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How much does she weigh?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Any weakness or wobbliness?

How long ago did she get into this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well, he actually is fine this am. Not sure how much he had ingested but we estimated that it was less than a third of a 30 mg capsule and probably less than that. He was wobbly on his backend and acting completely nuts, chasing things that weren't there and running around like an inebriated person. As soon as we realized what was wrong, we gave him a dose of peroxide which did not make him regurgitate it. I think he probably had ingested it 45 minutes to an hour before we realized what had happened. He ate an entire can of tuna, because I was hoping it would help absorb some of the drug, and he is well rested today and seems OK. Pink gums, eating and drinking and back to napping. We read that it would probably be out of his system within eight hours. I have no idea why he was so interested in that pill but he had gone after it the day before and I couldn't find it. He obviously uncovered it again and chewed on it until it opened. Eek. Anyway thanks for the reply, and if he had gotten worse we would've taken him into the next county to the emergency clinic. It was scary, but he has recovered nicely, so I'm assuming he didn't get very much in his mouth.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

I am very glad to hear that he is well this morning. Temazepam is a drug that we do actually use as an appetite stimulant in cats, so it wasn't an outright toxicity for him. Though it was a significant dose and those neurological/brain signs weren't unexpected. Still, as you noted, it tends to be short actin and we'd expect no harm now that we are out of that time frame. So, he is a lucky lad but we will need to keep a close eye on him with medication in the future (since most human drugs are not that friendly to cats)

Take care & all the best

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you very much!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome,

Take care & all the best for Lafitte,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.