Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My 10 lb. cat is very constipated. Will olive oil help, and

Customer Question

My 10 lb. cat is very constipated. Will olive oil help, and how much?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

As long as Bibbs is still eating and not vomiting then what is far superior to oils assuming she is truly constipated is to put 1/4 of a teaspoon of human Miralax mixed into the fancy feast and broth. Do this with each meal until she is defecating normally. Be cautious and watch carefully. It's easy to confuse straining due to diarrhea with straining do to constipation. Giving miralax (or oils) with diarrhea will make it worse! Also cats can strain and produce small amounts of urine with a urinary tract infection that also can be confused with constipation. Assuming this is constipation the miralax will help within 12-24 hours. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did please leave a rating. Dr. Dan

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Dan