Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Billy, indoor cat,12 y.o, dx "slight(???) pancreatitis' got

Customer Question

Billy, indoor cat,12 y.o, dx "slight(???) pancreatitis' got meds for pain ,was not told what to try to feed him. back home he went to get dry(whole earth:grain free) did not want wet food
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If Billy's vet suspects pancreatitis, then it would be ideal to feed food that is low in fat. Now in regards ***** ***** normal diet, it does depend how much fat is in each to whether we would want to give these so soon. Still, in regards ***** ***** we usually will feed in these cases are diets like Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s Sensitivity Control or Gastrointestinal diet. Your vet should carry these and can dispense it for you.Or we can offer a short term bland diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, meat baby food (as long as its onion/garlic free), or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). All are low fat and easy to digest which is great for pancreatitis cases as well as those with gut upset.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
he is a cat. not a dog , so please send me a correct answer.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

I am aware that Billy is a cat and wrote my food recommendations based on him being so. If he was a dog, we'd use a carbohydrate base for bland home diets since they are omnivores. But this isn't necessary for cats and thus why I didn't mention it.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am very sorry, but the answer is not helpful at all. No idea what to buy at the store since the vet that saw him , is not going to be my vet anymore. can you give me some brand names I can buy in a pet food store ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

If you want to stick to commercial diets instead of one of those homemade options I noted as well, then I would note that the Royal Canin and Hill's Diets I mentioned are all available over the counter at any vets (you need only pop in) or even carried by Petsmart as you can see HERE. They do come in wet and dry food. So, those are all still options you can go to the store and buy.

Otherwise, you can even try the Royal Canin Feline Care Nutrition Light Adult Cat Food or Proplan Salmon Cat food which are typically carried by pet stores and even grocery stores.

All the best for Billy,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )