Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Our cat had a infected gum and had difficulty

Customer Question

Hi our cat had a infected gum and had difficulty eating,medication cleared that up.That was 2 weeks ago and he is eating very lightly but drinking,he is losing lots of weight,the vet has jabbed him twice since the infection.We have seen no bowel movement for 3 days now and appears to have sweaty fur,he is meowing a fair bit but he always did, he is 11 years old what do we do to help ,another vet?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I have to note that if his appetite has reduced again, he is losing weight, and he isn't grooming as usual (why we are seeing oily fur); then Dave is telling us that his mouth is still a problem. Therefore, we need to speak to his vet and determine whether his gums are the only problem in his mouth. Often its dental disease causing the gum infections and if the compromised tooth (and possible tooth root abscess) are not removed, then we will keep seeing relapses after the pain relief and antibiotics run out. As well, we need to make sure he doesn't have any other oral issues like growths or ulcers (from herpes virus or kidney disease). So, another vet visit or at least a discussion over the phone about what underlying issue is causing his relapse would be ideal here.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** least trying to keep his weight up even if he cannot eat much, we can use a calorie rich diet like Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery or even canned kitten food. As well, there are also liquid diets like Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet or Catsure that he may be better able to lap and thus keep himself going. All of these are nutrient dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise. And these could just help get some more calories in even if we can’t get a huge volume of food in.

Finally, at least as a short term option, you can speak to his vet about oral antibiotics and cat safe pain relief. This can just keep his mouth comfortable so he can eat while you work to pinpoint the root case and address it for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )