Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

What do I give a cat?

Customer Question

What do I give a cat for constipation?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he straining to defecate?

2- Is he urinating?

3- How long has it been since he defecated?

Friend, the key to constipation is adequate hydration. This is what you can do:

1- Get him to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth.
2- Add 1-2 teaspoon of canned pumpkin to his food.
3- As a stool softener you can give 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of Miralax every 24 hours or Mineral oil 1 to 2 teaspoon every 12 hours. You can find these over the counter in any pharmacy.
4- You can also give milk as a stool softener; normally it causes diarrhea but in cases of constipation will act as a stool softener.
5- If he does not have a bowel movement within 12 hours of doing the above I would have him checked by a veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter