Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Two weeks ago I got a 13week old kitten from safe I also

Customer Question

Hi two weeks ago I got a 13week old kitten from safe I also have a 3 year cat and 1 year old dog the kitten and the dog are getting on good and we can leave them alone no problems at all we also have a friend that brings a dog over often and the kitten gets on fine with him as well. But my resident cat is just not happy every time she sees the kitten she attacks it as soon as she sees her she comes running paws flying and really growling and hissing at the kitten the kitten now sticks to one end of the house and as soon as she sees the cat she goes into hiding but the older cat tries to find her I'm conifer giving it two more weeks and iff it doesn't improve to take the kitten back to safe to be rehomed. We go away at times and I want be able to leave the two cats together and I don't want to have to shut cats In a room. How long do I give it for them to get along? Or will they ever get along?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your kitty issues! I am going to attach an article here for you that talks about introducing a new cat into your home in detail as far as a plan to try to encourage the kitties to get along.

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/how-to-introduce-a-second-cat/

I would review this information and see if it is something you think you would be able to do in your household. I would also encourage getting some Feliway multicat diffusers (these are plug-ins that you can put throughout your house that have a calming pheremone).

http://www.feliway.com/us/What-causes-cat-stress-or-anxiety/How-to-help-prevent-or-reduce-cats-fighting-or-conflict

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if those links come through for you and if you have any questions.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello ? Just checking to see if that info I sent came through to you???