Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Dr. Salkin, I apologize so to get back to you about

Customer Question

Hi, Dr. Salkin,
I apologize for taking so long to get back to you about Tigger-3's ingestion of the artificial pine needle. I did go to an emergency vet that night with an identical piece of the plastic needle that he swallowed. The vet felt it flexible enough to induce vomiting, and did so, but the needle did not come up. We opted to bring him home after reversal of the drug and keep watch on him for symptoms. Being a nurse I knew what to look for. But--for the last 5 days, Tigger-3 has been just fine. Playful, eating and drinking well, and stooling every day. Yes, I did search every bowel movement for the needle...so far, nothing! It's a real mystery. I know that HCl acid doesn't dissolve plastic, but I can't think of any other reasons why it has not appeared in the stool. His bowel sounds are just fine, abd is soft. So, I continue to monitor.
Thank you for your help.
Eve
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the update, Eve. The needle may still be sitting in his stomach. He may have vomited it up unnoticed by you but sure to be found when you step in the vomit in the middle of the night. It may have passed not accompanied by stool. It may have entered into another dimension of time and space. A puzzlement, indeed; I'm just pleased to hear that Tigger-3 appears unaffected.

Please keep me posted.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?