Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I was told to keep the new cat locked in till he settles but

Customer Question

I was told to keep the new cat locked in till he settles but he got out . What will he do. Where will he think he's going. Will he come back. He spent the day wedged behind furniture. He's freaked out. Will he travel looking for something familiar. It's wet and cool outside. I have put chicken meat in the doorway hoping the smell will lure him backin. Help. It's my grandsons cat. He's micro chipped but I don't know what address is on it. Sha. Please tell me.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

The dilemma here is that if he isn't familiar with your house and you yet, then he will either try to find his old home or may linger (as a stray) in the area. Now you do want to have food out but you also need to be walking the neighbourhood, speaking to neighbours (who may have sheds, garages, etc. that he will use as a refuge), and putting up signs to help locate him.

As well, it is worth ringing the local vet practices and shelters to let them know he is loose. They can take down a description and ring you if he arrives with them (this is usually the way owners get them back if they aren't found in the neighbourhood). And if he does have a microchip, then you can phone the company that made it (local vets often have the number) and check what address is on it. If its not up to date, then you can do so now to make sure you are contacted when he is found. If you do not know the microchip number or don't have it on file, you can ring the vet that put it in to get that number. Otherwise, you'd need to talk to the original owner to see what that number is ***** have them ring you if they are phoned once he is found.

Overall, it is a shame that Tigger has been so fearful and now has gotten out. Again he may try to head for home or may just wander your area looking for safe haven. So, we need to get out there, get the neighbour hood keeping an eye out, and making contact with vets and shelters to try and locate him and get him back home.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. I was expecting a magic wand in my emotional state but your advice is practical and measured. Would it help if I get his child owner over here to call him?.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome,

There are many times I do wish I had a magic wand for situations like these. Sadly, I am not sure any profession gets one. ;)

If the cat is quite attached to the child, then it'd be worthwhile to have him call to Tigger. But if they are only just getting to know one another, then it may be more stress to your grandson then benefit for getting Tigger back in. So, we may still need to take the above steps (and again so often these cats get picked up and taken into the vets --so its definitely worth sitting down with the phone book and ringing all your local vets to give them a description of him (+/- take a sign with a photo to post in their waiting room). That way they will know him when/if he comes in and be able to ring straight away).

Best wishes for you,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)